Wednesday, August 12, 2009

411 Charges

My favorite way to get around those pesky 411 charges on my cell phone bill? Text Google!

Just send a text message to G O O G L E (466453) with whatever you are looking for. Regular texting charges apply. I have unlimited texts on my plan, so it is free!

Examples as of late:
  • I needed show times for a movie we wanted to see, but was nowhere near a computer. I texted the following "movie show times, [my zip code]" and was promptly replied to with a listing of movie options close by. When it wasn't the movie I was looking for, I texted again, but with "500 days of summer show times [my city, my state]." Within seconds I was reading the show times and phone numbers of the theater closest to me.
  • I got stuck in some righteous traffic last night on the way to the temple, where I volunteer every week. I knew I was going to be later than I planned, but I didn't have the phone number to the temple. I texted "LDS temple [my city] phone number", and Google pulled through! I was able to call and let them know I would be a little bit late.
The other thing Google has done for me lately? Allow Scott to sync his Blackberry calendar to our Google calendar. With a quick glance, I can see what his week/month/year looks like and add any appointments I have so that he will know about them on his phone. That's efficiency, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment